New Series: Drops Like Stars - Vol. 1

1.10.2010

Rob Bell's books always inspire me. His last two have been incredibly thought-provoking. Not to mention his Nooma videos - which I also love and have been wanting to start a small group around (which might happen soon! we will see).

So if you haven't picked up Jesus Wants to Save Christians or Drops Like Stars, I recommend them. Highly. I didn't even know that the latter (Bell's latest book) even existed, but lo and behold, thanks to my fantastic husband, I opened it on Christmas morning.

Want to borrow it? You should!


I've decided that my life isn't always as thought provoking as I would like - sometimes there are days and days at a time when I don't really have any good thoughts - let alone things to write down. Thus, reading a great book and responding is my way of "thinking good thoughts". Even if they don't come out profoundly.

And, actually, I HAVE been thinking a lot lately. About life and work and passion and contentment and suffering and creativity ... so, why not? Responding gives me a platform to jump from. So, ya ready? I'm jumpin'! And here's the first food for thought:

(Will be back soon.)

"There's a phrase we use when we're describing something we consider new and fresh and unexpected. We say it's 'out of the box'. The problem with the phrase is that when something or someone is judged to be in or out of 'the box,' it reveals that 'the box' is still our primary point of reference. We're still operating within the prescribed boundaries and assumptions of how things are supposed to be. 'Out of the box' is sometimes merely another way of being 'in the box.'

And then there are those who come from a totally different place. They ask another kind of question:


'There's a box?'

~Rob Bell, Drops Like Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment