Yes, it's true.

4.28.2010

Hello friends!

If you've come here from Facebook or via email, welcome!! So glad you stopped by. If you are wondering if what I'm going to announce is that Baby Shunk is on the way ... you would be right!

I'm 13.5 weeks pregnant with Baby and so far everything is going well. Unless, of course, you factor in that I've been sicker than 99.5% of all pregnant women this first trimester. But if we just talk Baby, as far as we know, he/she is doing great! Heartbeat is strong and we've seen him/her on the sonogram screen as a little 2.6cm blip growing normally. Should be the size of a peach this week.

Saturday I start into the 2nd trimester! Glory, hallelujah. I'm praying that with that comes relief from the annoying nausea that's still holding on.

Wait, let me back up.

((So, this ISN'T my pregnancy blog, although it will probably be updated until October mostly that way. Yes! Due date: October 30, 2010."Why?" you might ask. "Well," I would say, "I have two friends who've left me for Asia, several friends in Europe, and plenty of family who won't be able to see the progress in the next few months." Mostly, it's for them, but if you wish to follow, please do! I'll write for you too. :-) And, if you live anywhere in the Midwest and want to swing by Kansas City on your way somewhere to see the baby belly, feel free. But don't come yet. I don't have anything to show.))

So I've been diagnosed with hyperemesis of pregnancy, and frankly, it stinks. I've spent 6 of the last 7 weeks throwing up, force feeding, and crying miserable because I've been so sick. It's been sort of like a bad stomach flu combined with motion sickness and a migraine without the headache. I couldn't eat, drink, read, write, watch tv, get online, or sometimes even talk without being horribly sick. 8 days of March were spent in the hospital getting IV fluid and nutrition. 10 lbs gone off my already thin frame.

All of that to say, I do believe I am finally on the mend. I did have to quit work for 2 months - something a bit stressful on our family and finances, but I'm hoping to go back mid-May. I still am working on building up my ability to be in front of a computer for several hours (something my job requires) without feeling too sick and my stamina. But I am feeling 350% better and I'm up 6 pounds. I'm able to eat and drink fluids on my own and get around the house well. I've even been cooking and doing the dishes.

So, this post is more about me than the Baby, but that's been the story. One day we'll look back and it will be only that: a story. I will feel normal, be able to run around and go-go-go and ride in the car without thinking twice.

As for now... I am contemplating everything I take for granted while I feel well. Many of us do. But more on that later.

So as for now, we've made Baby public. :-) Ask all the questions you'd like. (And yes, pictures will be posted shortly).

5 comments:

  1. congratulations!! I do hope that you will be able to enjoy the rest of your pregnancy and not be sick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! Congratulations on a new little one! You're going to be a great mom. I'm so excited for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. woohooo!! we'll have to have play dates and fun times! that's way in the future though. i'm super excited for you!!! depending on if it's a boy or girl we may even have some stuff we can pass on ;) i'll be watching for your progress :) glad to hear you're feeling better. that first trimester is horrible. as i told my ob when i got into the 2nd trimester, "I feel fine, really. Nothing's as bad as the 1st trimester." I think the birth is even better than the 1st trimester. haha. audrey can't wait to meet baby shunk!
    <3 and prayers
    amber

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha woohoo! This is exciting news, Lisa! Congrats to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle McMartin12:13 AM

    Awesome! Thanks for sharing. That is very exciting news and I'm very excited for the upcoming changes to your little family. Are you going to share the gender when you find out? Have you started planning names? I'm sure you look somewhat like Judy when she was pregnant- you could barely tell that she looked any different. = ) Well, again, thanks for sharing and I hope to meet the little tyke someday!

    ReplyDelete