What I've Been Reading ...

10.11.2012

Although I've been fantastically busy lately, I've found time to pick up a few books and read. Usually during naptime, after the girl goes to bed or on lazy Sunday afternoons.

Most of what I read is, admittedly, completely for fun. Which more or less means a fairly low reading level - which after my days of academic reading, I'm slightly shy to admit.

But then when you throw in day after day after day of life with an almost 2 year old, then you understand what "mom brain" is and why I literally can't read or comprehend anything more than fun books.

That said, I think I forgot to mention the book I read over our June vacation.

The Story of Stuff has been on my list and it added a bunch of other books to my reading list (included the next one in line).
source
Suffice to say, this wasn't fun reading, per say, (stats throughout the entire thing) but it was so practical and revealing. If you are interested in materialism, consumerism or practicing simplicity, it's a great resource to get you started!

Which leads me to 7.

source
Another great, practical (and super funny!) resource on how families can participate in simpler living.

Totally switching gears ...

I've been wanting to attend a book club led by one of our church friends but I haven't gotten ahold of the books in time (too many holds at the library!), I couldn't finish it in time, or they were just too complicated for my mom brain at 8pm at night ...

Finally! I got one and read it through. 11/22/63 is a new Stephen King novel - quite long, but a fast read. We're discussing it at the end of the month and I can't wait to join up with the book club for the first time!
source
I have to admit, there was WAY more language than I would prefer, but I really wanted to participate in this one. Past that, the storyline was SO interesting ... and I couldn't put it down! My penchant for the past made me swallow this one hook-line-and-sinker.

Another book club book, The Night Circus, I just finished about 10 minutes ago. And I loved it. In sort of an Alice in Wonderland way. The author, Erin Morgenstern, is incredibly talented ... the whole time I was reading it felt like a dream (completely intended by her, but totally believable!) It used beautiful, descriptive language without being forced. It was completely "magic" but still believable. That makes a good author if you ask me ...

source
Honestly, the ending still eludes me a bit, but I'd read it anyway. This is a January book club discussion, so maybe I'll be able to understand more then.

Last one for this post is Room. I was intrigued by Jess' description so I reserved it for our trip to Nashville.

source
I was VERY confused at first and found it difficult to read the nuances of a five year old narrator, but about halfway through finally started to understand his language and get into his story (which I think was, again, totally intentional by the author). By the end I was choked up - a hard story told in a way that didn't make it less horrifying, but put a perspective spin on it that made it readable. Pick it up, I do recommend this one.

*****

That's it! Have you read anything good lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment