The AMISH are coming!

10.29.2007

You think the Amish stay in their communities and have only limited contact with the world. It's not true.

It was 7:14a and I was jarred out of a nice morning sleep that would've lasted until at least 9 o'clock if the noises coming thru my ceiling hadn't disturbed me. "Noises" sounds mild compared to the tyrannosaurus-rex pounding and scrapings we were serenaded out of bed this morning with. It wasn't even light enough to see the roof, let alone steal my sleep!

Okay, okay. So my dad told me they were coming. But I forgot ... I called him at work and yelled, "The Amish are coming!!" He had no pity. At least tomorrow I won't have a problem being to my new job on time. Geez.

However, Amish men on top of your house is kind of interesting. Beards, suspenders and all. I'm trying to convince my mom that it would be utterly annoying to be stared at by us, but she just laughs. And my curiousity has perked up too... I've read about these so-called "simple" people and really I do just want to go out and talk to them. See their reactions to me (a worldly girl) -- see what they would tell me, how honest they would be about their lifestyle. It really is intriguing.

In two days they'll be gone. I hope they like the oatmeal-raisin cookies I'm going to bake for them. And then, we'll have slept a little less, gotten out of the house a little more (especially when the air hammer starts shooting), but have a nice roof job to boot.

:-) and, today, i'm painting a garage. i KNOW all of you envy my exciting life. haha. until then.

1 comment:

  1. Talking to the Amish will be just fine. They used to be my neighbors in Ohio ya know? We'd have them work on stuff at our house, they'd pick grapes at our house, we'd go to their saw mills to get firewood, I'd go down the road to buy eggs from them, they built my bookshelf for me; they're good people.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete