Progress reports (3): more antiques

6.09.2011

The grandparents have sweetly let us borrow their antique highchair for her to use. (I wanted one just like this to use and they had one already). However, it is very slippery and she is a tiny bit short for it yet. We are using a borrowed Bumbo chair to feed her for now and when I get a little cushion made for the seat, we'll be able to sit her in it without her sliding too far. I need to make a pattern for the cushion. Any suggestions how to go about pattern making?



here's a little antique school chair, graciously given to me from the teens at church (it didn't sell at their garage sale fundraiser) via an older couple whose grandchildren used to play with it. isn't it cute? until Ladybug can use it, i'm thinking of fun and practical ways to put it to use!




finally, this one is from Jeremy. his grandma used to have a black rotary phone just like this and he was even excited to pick this up from an antique store going out-of-business sale. the cord may need to be replaced, but we might even get a landline and use it! can you still use these old guys? hope so!


that's all for now, folks. come back soon for more antique/vintage love!

3 comments:

  1. For the high chair, I think you should just get a sheet of poster board that will fit in the seat, then from underneath, trace the outline of the indents for the legs. Then you'll know how long and how wide to make the seat cushion, and where room should be left for indents. Or were you talking more fabric patterns?

    For the little chair, we could always put my care bear or my pet monster in it, as long as the dogs don't tear them apart.

    And yes, you can still use old rotary phones. For some dialed numbers you won't be able to get through, but most phone companies still have the systems in place for rotary phones, and if not, usually they have interpreters that will translate the numbers dialed into digital signals so you can still get through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom and dad have a school chair just like the one in your picture. I didn't know it was a school chair, it's just been in their house for as long as I can remember. They use it instead of a piano bench at the piano.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet8:03 PM

    Lisa, I thought the chair was yours now, with no returning. I remember having a "party" line with that old phone(as a teenager I'd listen in on other conversations and having to ask the operator to connect. Got in trouble once and never did hear anything worthy.

    ReplyDelete