Garage sale score! - plant stand makeover

4.16.2013

I spotted this little guy driving by a neighborhood garage sale last weekend. I immediately had visions of yellow paint and a pretty plant for our stairwell.

$1 score!

BEFORE:



 And AFTER!




I had to use a little wood filler on a one leg because of some stray dog bites (if you remember this!), sanded and painted it yarrow root yellow. I put two coats of polycrylic to seal the top where a little water may spill. Then I placed it in our teeny tiny stair-landing.

Then, I did a little plant research to see what plant might be good for a very low light area - and I loved this one! It's called a "snake plant" or a "mother-in-law's tongue" (haha), stands straight up, and tolerates extreme neglect. Sold.

I searched for the closest nursery to our home and we took a little trip to snag this baby. And I love it! (Now I just need to find the right pot to put it in - I'm hoping to thrift something else - so for now it's resting on a salad plate.)

Can't wait to share a few more furniture transformations as well as a new vegetable gardening approach - I just can't seem to give it up!

1 comment: